Sunday, April 22, 2007

Can You Here ME Now Part 2

John 10:27 says "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."
If you clicked on the title of "Can You Here ME Now Part 1" it would have linked you to this passage.

How can we "hear" God's voice? The book of Matthew tells us that John the Baptist heard God's audible voice when he was baptizing Jesus. God spoke in a big way! God still speaks today. HE could do it audibly of course, but what about that still small voice? Sometimes we think it is our conscience, but who convicts us of our wrong doing to begin with? That would be God through His Holy Spirit.

Now I shared with you my fun T shirt experiences and my friends will back me up that the stories are all true and I am not a complete nut. Maybe just a partial one! I will share some ways that God has spoken to my heart and try to explain it the best way I can.

One example was when I was going through my troubled marriage. My first instinct was to leave. I was having thoughts in my head that said the kids would be better off if Mike & I divorced. I remember crying telling God that I did not understand why He would help me recover from my first bad marriage only to lead me to this one. Yet in that I told HIM I believed HE saved me before and HE would do it again. The "thought" that came over me was a deep impression from my gut that flowed upward to my mind. It was loving and gentle but very firm "inner voice" that said "Lisa how will you look your 3 children in the eyes in years to come and when they ask you 'mommy why couldn't you try one more time with daddy?' How are you going to say you couldn't? How are you going to raise Christian children to trust ME when you don't trust ME with your marriage?"

Here is how I KNOW that was God: Because it hit me in the gut, it washed me with peace, it gave me hope in a terrible situation. It was contrary to what my natural instinct thought I should do. Also God said "ME". I knew that I knew it was not my own thoughts but those of a loving, merciful God. Also most importantly it lined up with God's Word, the bible, because it was telling me to trust God in my marriage!

Since that time I have heard many other things, such as "Rise Above" which popped in my head in the shower which was confirmed by a Billboard (see Part 1). So again I learned that that "thought" was God. Sometimes He speaks softly, other times deeper and louder to your spirit and your heart. I am convinced that as you listen to HIM and "practice" you will learn how to hear His voice regularly.


There was another time I was finally alone and planning to run some much needed errands. I again was upset that my marriage was in such a bad place. I wondered if God was hearing me at all. I felt this urge to drive to our church's prayer room. I did not have the time or the energy but could not get the thought to leave me. I went in and knelt down feeling rather foolish to be honest. Why would I have to be in the prayer room when I could pray in my car? I happened to kneel where the prayer list was laid out for the intercessors (people who pray for others). I glanced down to see MY prayer request I sent in a few days earlier, ON TOP of a large pile of other prayer requests! I left there with a renewed hope and joy in my heart that God did hear me and He was in control.

One time Mike was helping a man in a parking lot who was having chest pains. He said "Lisa I just felt like I should have prayed for that man." Mike wasn't comfortable at that time just praying for someone he did not know, so afterward he felt very bad that he didn't. I explained that the kids and I did while we waited in the van, but explained "that was God telling you to pray, when you hear that voice again, you will know it was Him." So it was a strong impression that told Mike something contrary to his natural tendencies and that too lined up w/ scripture.
(Side note: It was a heart attack and Praise God "George" survived!!)


As we "tune in" and listen we will have a sense of peace knowing that even if our sitauation is difficult we are never alone. That if we "tune in" we will be led by God. (John 16:13-15)

No comments: