Saturday, April 5, 2008

Surfing the Waves

I was really inspired by my Pastor's sermon from last week. He talked about our desire being stronger than our disability. He refered to John 6:5-9. I love this scripture. I use it every time I begin my wives study group.
Often we are paralyzed by our situation. We feel stuck and remain there w/ our lame excuses. We don't rely on God, His love, His power, His truth. We remain stagnant.

I related so well to my Pastor when he described his DNA. It is inbred in him to fight thru obstacles to get to the promise. He is not satisfied w/ sitting on the sidelines. Niether am I . I related because I too got front row tickets to concerts when my life was more about a party. Journey, Phil Collins, The Go Go's, Janet Jackson, Def Leppard, The Who, to date myself and to name just a few. GREAT front row or floor seats!

Recently...Beth Moore on the floor...Joyce Meyer(I drove 2 hrs alone which I hate to do)...row 5 and front row both days during worship. So being aggressive to pursue a goal is in my DNA too. My struggle is that I see the pool. I know where I am going but I don't know HOW to get there. I am rolling my disabled self from where I am but can't see far enough to know the best way the pool is. I struggle with am I doing enough. After all you don't get where you need to be unless you pick up your mat and walk. Am I doing the right thing? I know..I know.. God directs our steps right?

As I was belaboring this in my heart I had a vision for surfing. In order to ride the big wave you have to paddle out to the unknown sea. You go over waves and then dip down in the valley between them. Your speed is determined by the current. Then when you get where you need to be you stand up and ride the wave in.

I have to learn to be confident in the paddling out to sea. I can't go faster than the current will allow. I won't know where to stand up on the board until I get there. But at least my DNA is helping me move from where I was and I am trusting God will tell me when I can ride the big wave in.

No comments: