Monday, December 10, 2007

Which One Will She Choose?

I never watch TV. It seems so pointless when I have a husband and 3 kids and a slew of emails who wait for my attention. Tonight, I got hooked. I am supposed to be packing for a 3 day camping trip with my daughter's 5th grade class. Yes I know it is 2 weeks before Christmas don't remind me. PRAISE GOD it will be in the 70's!!!

SO while I am slowly packing I get hooked on a show on HGTV that my husband turned to as he left the room. Have you seen it? They look at 3 houses. One is beyond budget and 2 are in the buyers price range. This single girl has 3 choices. She could have the smaller newer one for more $, it was her taste and in move in condition . She could have one right in the middle of her price range but there is a college in the backyard OR she could choose the older bigger, needing newer everything house.

I was pleased she did not pick the "party" house with the college in the backyard. That seems like it could be fun, but we know that would get old after awhile. I was hoping she would go with the first choice. She was a pack rat and it had a bedroom converted into a closet. It also had a safe garage. It suited her perfectly and was just a bit out of her range. Now I am not saying we should spend foolishly, I am just making a point.

What does she do? She settles. She picks the one her dad had concerns about regarding the heat. Gee, has anyone who loves you had "concerns"? She picks the one she could afford "even though" the bedroom wasn't big enough, the kitchen needed remodeling and the appliances were old. She couldn't wait for the best fit, she settled.

As she sat on her couch in her "new living room" she did not convince me she was excited about her choice. Her bedroom was smaller than the one she had before and the entire place was a "work in progress". Isn't that like a lot of women with the men they marry? Instead of praying and asking God for the right man, instead of being patient, they settle and marry "the work in progress" because it should "make them happy" and it doesn't cost as much ....in the beginning.

We know that we are all works in progress, but when we marry with the thoughts of changing someone it isn't the smartest move. It is better to hold out and persevere for "Mr. Right" than to settle for less than God's choice for you.

Oh and if you think you made that mistake, I have GREAT NEWS! God is in the remodeling business. Head to this website and God will tear down some walls and Christ will build you a new foundation! It's as simple as this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog and just want you to know I love your posts! I'm saving you as a favorite, so be encouraged because someone is listening...

Rae

Anonymous said...

lisa,
this was really insightful--as always. i wait excitedly to see how the Lord will continue to use you in the lives of His children as you shout His message of Hope...

love
jess

Anonymous said...

immediately thought of my yearlong pursuit of purchasing a car. After I made my decision someone asked me if I “settled” and had any regrets because I didn’t buy the one I had originally set out to get. I went from the 350Z to the MX-5 Miata. The truth is it took me a year to wrestle with who I am and what I really desire. The 350Z had the package that first attracted me. It had every gadget, real power, and sex appeal. But when it came right down to it what I really desired was the experience of a sports car. And I wasn’t looking to spend my life savings on the car and upkeep associated with computers in your car.

When they asked me if I settled I had to honestly ask myself if I had. From the world’s perspective it looked like I had settled. What they didn’t understand was that I was wrestling with who I am and battling with what the “world” was telling me was the best fit. The Miata fit. Everything about it from the way I fit the seat to the price tag. I didn’t settle. I wrestled. I relate this to relationships. What if more women wrestled with who they are in Christ before they invested in the relationship? If I had purchased the 350Z I would be forever adjusting my mirrors, cursing blind spots, and cursing the engineer who didn’t give me a back window. Instead, I zoom zoom with a smile on my face. And I can see you. J

P.S. Let me state that the 350Z is a great car when it fits you. You go girl!
Jody